Director of Engineering (Software)
ABAX is Europe`s fastest growing telematics company. We constantly strive to be at the forefront in providing smart solutions that make the workday more efficient - whether you're in your vehicle, at the office or out in the field. Our solutions include tracking for fleets, equipment and tools, digital mileage claim for vehicles and paperless project management tools.
We take pride in ABAX being a positive place to work. For people with the right attitude that want to become a little bit better every day, we create a place where personal development and fun combine to form a fulfilling and profitable workday. We know happy employees’ equal happy customers, and we do our utmost to facilitate employee satisfaction, both in and out of work.
We have 400 employees across offices in 8 countries. Our Headquarters and Tech center are situated in Larvik, on the southeast coast of Norway, and we are opening a new Tech centre in Gdansk.
Our values “profitable, first and enthusiastic” form the foundation to our daily work, every hour of every day.
The Director of Engineering is a key leadership role on the ABAX Engineering team. This position will be based in Gdansk, Poland. This person will develop and manage the overall release plan, prioritise scope management, resource planning/alignment, and oversee the overall execution of engineering and product development for the Triplog product line. The Director of Engineering will apply his/her leadership skills, software methodologies, and proven best practices to deliver a high-quality SaaS product on schedule and on budget. This is a people management role which requires the ability to hire and grow top engineering talent. The role also requires strong communication inside and outside of engineering, working closely with the architecture and the product and development operations teams to translate business requirements into code.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Manage the focused execution of the product roadmap and deliverables with accountability over the outcome for releases.
- Build a brand-new product engineering team in Gdansk
- Continue to grow the engineering and development team through hiring, coaching, development and engagement Develop, determine and implement engineering policies, procedures, and programs.
- Align team responsibilities with product roadmap, including prioritising and driving processes.
- Eliminate barriers interfering with engineering team productivity.
- Articulate business needs based on available data and make recommendations to senior leadership.
- Recommend budgets, including staff, technology, facility and equipment requirements or improvements.
- Partner with and manage external service providers as needed.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other departments to provide knowledge transfer and align activities and deliverables. Manage the escalation process.
- Monitor service delivery and proactively address delivery concerns before service quality is impacted.
- Continually improve processes, both planned and unplanned.
- Vetting, selection, and management of technologies and technical partnerships.
Who are we looking for?
- Bachelor's degree (Technical) and 10+ years relevant experience
- Background in Software Engineering
- 8+ years managing multiple technical development teams and managers, including remote teams
- You care deeply about culture and foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do their best work
- You have built and managed high performing engineering teams and hired top class engineers and senior managers
- Demonstrated ability to attract/recruit/retain external talent and be a coach and employee champion.
- Good understanding of all aspects of software engineering, including coding, architecture, testing and the relevant trade-offs required for decision making.
- Experience with managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Kanban/Scrum processes and a deep understanding of how Lean Agile teams deliver on shared commitments.
- You have delivered software in a SaaS environment and at scale and understand the trade-offs between new innovation projects and projects running at scale
- Entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with the ability to move and act at the operational and tactical levels when required.
- You have strong mentoring & coaching skills and communication
- You have ability to work effectively with senior management and manage in a matrix environment
- Sets goals & executes on them, Self-paced learning & development
- Fluent in Polish and English
So what are you waiting for? Come join our adventure! For more information contact email@example.com or