Klaveness is an operator, service provider and integrated owner with innovation as an integral part of our overall vision. In addition to being a leading service provider to the global dry bulk industry, including providing digital solutions for wider use in the shipping industry, the company has a unique concept for combination carriers and provides container feeder vessels to various operators.
With more than 70 years of experience in the dry bulk segment, Klaveness operates close to 135 vessels through offices in Oslo, Singapore, Manila, Shanghai and Dubai with around 175 employees onshore and close to 650 seafarers. More information about our company and our activities on www.klaveness.com.
Data Scientist – Klaveness Research
We are now seeking a Data Scientist to join the Research department in Oslo. The role of the research department is to facilitate correct position taking in both the short-term physical freight spot market and in the derivates market.
Would you like to join a pioneering, knowledge-based shipping company that always challenges status quo, with an aim to be a leading digital operator? Our vision is to improve the nature of shipping, and we are always looking for new solutions.
Core responsibilities will be:
- Identify/create new machine learning features in collaboration with the rest of the research team
- Pre-process unstructured and structured historical fundamental/price data.
- Build models using machine learning techniques to predict either the freight level on a physical sub-route or the price in the derivate market
- Discuss model with the research team and reiterate if necessary
The ideal candidate would also be able to:
- Create and backtest trading strategies based on signals from models in collaboration with position takers
- Automate and deploy model/trade signals through a web service
- Experience in the use of quantitative models, Data Structures, Algorithms, Predictive Modelling, Time Series, Statistics, and Technical Analyses.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms
- Good scripting and programming skills and advanced experience with R
- Ability to deploy solutions into a production environment
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to real world financial problems
- Ability to communicate findings to non-technical business users
Qualifications and experience:
- Master of Science in ICT, computer science, informatics or industrial economy with excellent results
- Preferably 2-5 years of relevant work experience, but exceptional graduates with interest for financial markets will be considered
- Strong interest in working in the maritime industry
- An exciting job in an international company with high activity and great ambitions for the future
- A unique opportunity to pioneer the usage of machine learning models in an industry with low adoption
- Existing infrastructure for pre-processing and deployment of models
- Good opportunities for personal and professional development.
- A good working environment in modern offices at Vækerø in Oslo.
If you have any questions, please contact Tor Daneshmand at First Engineers: email@example.com